June 6, 2010

Kochi, Kochi, Koo

Last night I hung out at Kochi Restaurant and Lounge with some people from work to celebrate and bid a fond farewell to one of our nearest and dearest co-workers. Our friend Jen, who just graduated from Chaminade University with a Master's in Counseling Psychology, will be staring a new adventure on the island of Maui. She applied for and got a job at Kamehameha Schools - Maui Campus. Her husband also earned his Master's degree (in Secondary Ed I believe) from Chaminade and will be looking for work on the Valley Isle too.

So bringing it back to last night . . . . It was the first office party I've been to at this job (even though I've been working there for three years now). It was definitely an interesting mix of people. Some people were obvious choices to invite because they're fun kids to be around. Others who showed up had me scratching my head going "huh?" I didn't take them to be party people, and sure enough they didn't disappoint. Some of the conversation was awkward to say the least as no one really knew what to say to them. At one point, I thought one or two of these peeps fell asleep in the corner. But hey, who am I to say whether or not they should attend these things. I'm a newbie.

By the way, it was my first time at Kochi's and it was pretty nice. The server was cool and the vibe was relaxed. It was like partying at someone's house almost. They had some tv screens running ESPN and they lowered the lights and raised the volume of the music to make it seem semi-clubbish.

It was interesting to see people's personalities once they got some liquor into their systems. Some got a bit rowdy, but it was all in good fun. Everyone was drinking soju, a Korean alcohol similar to vodka. It was mixed in with some lemons so it tasted like lemonade. You could barely even taste the liquor. Not bad.

All the office gossip and political rumors started free-flowing out of people's mouths. I learned a lot about the going's on at work that I never bothered to listen to until now. The rumblings from the peanut gallery weren't very positive, and it's got me thinking I need to jump from the sinking ship before it's too late. Some of the stories were very revealing about people's characters. Some were outright shocking. I'm thinking I may need to ramp up my plans and get my act together to decide what I'm going to do with myself.

0 comments: