July 18, 2008

Hola, Que Tal?

I've been meaning to learn another language for a long time, especially with all the resources you can find online these days. I took Japanese in high school and college and actually completed through Japanese 302 (quite a feat in my book), but not having used it since that last class and never having lived in Japan, all that I learned has slowly slipped away. Replacing that useful piece of linguistic knowledge are a bunch of pop culture do-dads that couldn't help me to save my life.

But, yesterday I was talking to a co-worker who speaks Spanish, English, French and Italian and I was inspired. So tonight I subscribed to Coffee Break Spanish on iTunes. The first podcast wasn't too bad, considering I've never studied any Latin languages before. We'll see how it goes though. I wanted to do Italian or French, but I thought Spanish might be a bit easier to start with. It seems to have the same rolling Rs that's in Japanese so I'll be able to pronouce at least that much. I also listened to one of the French podcasts but I think the rounded sounds will give me a problem before I even start, so I'd better save that for another time.

After just one podcast, I gotta say that the best part is that the instructor and the student both have Scottish accent. For some reason Scottish, Irish and British accents are just sexy (and I can totally understand them without learning a new language)!

0 comments: