February 9, 2010

Watch Out Jake!

Jake Shimabukuro better watch his back. There's a class of more than 20 ukulele students (many of whom are 60+ years old) who are about to reach out and snag his jobs.

Last night I attended my first ukulele class. As I was anticipating, most of the adult students were retired. I mean really, other than them who really has the time to take these non-credit-type classes? Besides my friend Elle and I, there was only one other girl that was younger than 30.

However, the group seemed very welcoming and eager to learn how to play the ukulele. At least we have that in common. A few people were taking the class again because they enjoyed it so much and needed the extra help.

For my part, I liked the first class. I thought that 2-1/2 hours of class would end up dragging, but I was wrong. The time flew by! The instructor seems very personable and knowledgable. He taught us four cords - C, C7, F, G7 - and we played a bunch of songs and sang already. That totally surprised me. I think the curve is pretty high with this class as many people were able to play without much help. I'm really looking forward to the next class. Too bad it's only once a week.

0 comments: