June 21, 2010

Making The Grade

It's that time of year again, when all the employees at work get reviewed. The positives and negatives of the past year are expounded upon and management tells you whether or not you made the grade. However, unlike when we were all in school, passing and failing now involves monetary compensation.

For some, I suppose, this is a huge motivator. It drives them to do better, be better. The idea that they may be compensated for their efforts with a raise (significant or otherwise) compels them to stay late at work, volunteer for projects, kiss up to the boss, backstab their co-workers and all the other types of civilized trench warfare that happens in a corporate setting.

For others, like me, it doesn't do much. I mean, yeah I like getting raises (who doesn't?), but I definitely will not compromise my principles for money. And I'm not saying I've got these high and mighty philosophies about life. Oh no, on the contrary, it's the simple things that I refuse to give up for the sake of money.

For instance, on every review I've ever received at every job I've ever had, there has been one consistent improvement that I can work on. This modification has been described in many ways, but what it comes down to is attitude. Apparently I have a bad attitude. Shocking no?

But here's the thing - at every job I've ever worked at my reviews say I also get along with everyone and work well in groups. Now how is it possible that I have a bad attitude when people apparently like me? They volunteer to assist at my events and go out of the way to help me out when I need it?

Can it be that my "bad attitude" is only perceived by the person doing the reviewing? Is this because most of my bosses didn't know how to manage their staff and had no concept of what we did? Or is it just my bad attitude rearing its ugly head again?

This bad attitude has consistently been a ding on my report card and may or may not have resulted in my receiving smaller raises throughout the years. Now, many people would say this is an easy fix. Just give management what they want - a happy, smiling "yes" (wo)man. By discarding the perceived bad attitude when in the presence of those doing the grading, I can simulate a vast improvement come next year's review.

To those people I say, "Hell, to the NO!" To those people I say, "Have you no soul?"

There are some things more important in this world than getting a raise or promotion. There are some things, no matter how small, that are worth fighting for. I refuse to give up who I am just to make my bosses happy or make things easier for them. I'd rather quit than sell out and conform to their idea of perfection. If my refusal to comply with corporate brainwashing prevents me from getting raises, well so be it.

0 comments: