August 14, 2008

Suuuueeeyyyy - The Call of the Pig

Tonight I joined my brother and his family at Magic Island for the fair. It was interesting to have all these carnival rides crammed into such a small space. For a Thursday night, it was pretty crowded. My favorite part was definitely the pig races. Suuueeeeyyyy!

The act was called Hendrick's Racing Pigs, and I think they were flown in from the mainland. The announcer had a slight twang and also did some speed talking.

The pigs were bigger than I thought they'd be. I was expecting some cute baby pigs oinking it around the track. Instead, we got some medium-sized pigs. Still cute, but just bigger than I thought they'd be.

The pigs did three heats. I'm not sure if they were four different pigs each time or if they were just recycled. They did go back into their pens after each race so I'm not sure how many actual pigs there were.

Since pigs are just as smart as dogs, they must've known the drill pretty well by now. Once they got into their lanes, they were up and ready to go. Some were really excited and tried to break through the fence.

What was their prize? One single oreo cookie. Oh, to be satisfied so easily must be quite lovely. At the end they all crowded around the silver platter that held the single black cookie. I'm sure the winning pig inhaled it from two feet away, but they all still circled like vultures . . . you know, just in case there were crumbs.

If you get a chance, I recommend that you swing on by and visit Hendrick and his pink pigs. Take the family. Enjoy some good food - from the booths, not the pigs. Ride some rides. Play some games. Go on down and have some good family fun!

1 comments:

Anonymous said...

I can't believe they had this at Magic Island! I saw my first pig race when I was in Massachusetts for school. It was kind of amazing.