December 11, 2009

. . . And I'm Back

Just returned home from my Vegas jaunt this morning - 3:30 a.m. this morning to be exact. I was supposed to arrive at 12:15 p.m. yesterday, but our plane had some kind of mechanical failure light pop on. We were midway down the runway when the pilot put on the breaks. Thought it'd only take an hour to check out, but they ended up sending us back to a hotel to wait it out. Because of this, I'd say there are about 200 people tired out of their minds today.

While many people would love an extra day in Vegas, it'd be a lot better if they'd known ahead of time. Many of the people, who must've been older than God, pulled all-nighters on Wednesday since we had a 5 a.m. call time. This turned out bad since we were stuck in vegas for another 12 hours or so.

At the hotel, we were given meal vouchers so at least the food was free. But how many times can you really eat a buffet? The flight home was long and made longer when we didn't lift off till about an hour after scheduled. This time, in the new plane, a door light wouldn't come on. They had to call in the maintenance people to fix it.

Despite this, I had a nice time in Vegas. I got to go shopping and see Jersey Boys at the Palazzo. We tried to see the Platters, Coasters and Marvelettes, but the show got canceled. This is the second time I've been in Vegas and haven't gotten to see this show. It must be a sign. I ate at Olive Garden (yum!) and saw some hotels. I got in some gambling time and wouldn't have lost so much if we left on time. But since we were delayed 12 hours, I ended up putting a bunch of money back into the slots. Damn it!

The weather was a nippy 30-40 degrees the entire time we were there. I think after the first day we became immune to the cold. After a while it just felt nice and not OMG freezing. We were able to walk around in capris and a long-sleeved shirt with a light jacket. A positive thing about arriving in Honolulu at 2 a.m. is that the temperature was 74 degrees. If we'd arrived at noon as scheduled, we probably would've fainted from the 80-degree heat.

0 comments: