April 27, 2010

Eek, a Phone Interview

Just got off the phone with one of the company's I applied to in San Francisco. I haven't interviewed anywhere for about three years and never for a mainland company. It was scary and intense. I'm not sure how it went.

Despite practicing interview questions the past two nights, I still felt unprepared. It was almost as if their questions weren't on my list. Of course some weren't, but even the ones that were seemed difficult to answer.

I'm not too confident about this job opportunity. I felt like I was repeating myself throughout the interview. Maybe the HR rep was purposely asking similar questions to see if she would get a different answer? Or maybe I was just rambling. In any case, she said she would get back to candidates who made it to the next round by Friday.

Part of me is quaking in my shoes. Another part of me doesn't really care. Is that bad? I feel like this would be a great opportunity to move up to San Francisco, but I also feel like it can't be that simple. Nothing is ever that simple.

Guess there's nothing more to do but wait and see.

3 comments:

Richard said...

I often conduct interviews of potential new employees for my department, and I can tell you that it is likely that she was asking you the same questions in slightly different ways. Here, our HR director will ask a candidate a series of questions in their first interview, and then management follows up in a separate interview with similar ones. It's to check for consistency in their replies to make sure that they're not lying or fudging their responses (at worst), and to give them another chance to give a proper answer in case they didn't quite understand the question the first time around.

In any case, best of luck!

-r-

skycastles said...

Thanks for the pep talk =) I appreciate it and hope you're right.

I do still feel that I wasn't really prepared for this interview - or rather I prepared for the wrong things.

I think I focused on the position and how my skills related to doing a good job. That seemed to be a little too in depth for this initial interview. I wasn't expecting so many "Why do you want to work for us? What drew you to this job? Why do you want to move? Why did you pick San Francisco?"

Still it's always nice to get the first interview out of the way, even if I don't end up getting this particular job.

Richard said...

I don't think anybody can ever really be fully prepared for an interview. Just be sure your resume is truthful and be yourself. I for one dislike it when responses seem scripted, or if it sounds like the candidate is just telling me what they think I want to hear. A little candidness goes a long way for me, especially since the folks I interview will be dealing with the public regularly. If I think the candidate is being genuine, they'll get points.
-r-