May 4, 2010

Heart-to-Heart with the Boss

My boss pulled me into his office today for a heart-to-heart about my future with the company. Did I see myself getting into management and supervising people? What types of projects did I see myself doing?

I debated whether or not to tell him I was interested in moving to the mainland, and in the end, I went with the truth. I'm not sure if that'll affect things at work from here on out. However, because I know the company is definitely growing, I didn't want to hinder any progress by being groomed for the next rung in the ladder when I didn't really see myself staying for long. I told him I wanted to move to San Francisco. I had to fib a little by saying it was a recent decision and I haven't really looked into it. I got back on the path of righteousness by saying that I wasn't looking anywhere else locally so it'd basically be SF or bust.

He, of course, asked why I wanted to move and if I had family up there. He also asked if there was anything he could do. He didn't come right out and mention a raise and neither did I. He did thank me for my candor, which I suppose most people wouldn't have at this point. Still, it's kind of awkward I guess. I told him I wasn't moving unless I could find a job.

We'll see how things turn out at work - whether he will focus more time on the department or if our VP will pull me into a meeting. I'm sure my boss will need to tell him of my plans. Maybe they'll throw some big bucks around and try to convince me to stay?

I told my boss that I didn't see myself staying in our field as it wasn't a dream industry of mine. Because of this, I didn't really see myself managing anyone because to be a supervisor you need to be passionate about what you're doing. I'm definitely not passionate enough about the industry to put up with the political wheeling and dealing at the top. That right there could've been a career killer, but I'm not too worried.

By the way, I didn't get a call back from the phone interview place. Instead, I got a TNT (Thanks, but No Thanks) email and they said they'd keep my resume on file. I guess it's back to skimming the job listings to see if there's anything out there for me. I wasn't too surprised, and I definitely wasn't crushed. It's all a learning experience at this point.

0 comments: