May 10, 2010

1990s Music & Memories

Ever since I commented on this World Wide Ed blog, I've been clicking around YouTube listening to all the music from that era. I suppose despite my old soul and love for all genres of music, the 1990s were my growing up years.

Those were the days when summer vacation lasted an eternity. It was when somehow, seemingly overnight, a guy you've known since hanabata days became something more. It's when you rocked different colored slouchy socks, hairsprayed the living hell out of your bangs to make the perfect wave and had to get your jeans ripped just so. It was when you had your first crush and first kiss. It's when you watched Beverly Hills 90210 and Party of Five religiously and listened to stuff like this:



or this:



Is it completely sad that I know all the words to both songs? Wait, don't bother answering that.

It's not that I think this music is the epitome of discerning tastes. In fact, I competely admit that it's not. There is a ton of music (even in this era) that is way better than this pop candy. However, it is the music that most reminds me of my childhood.

When I hear this music, I think of how young and innocent we all were back then. Even the lyrics to these songs are so naive . . . or is that just the cynicism I've developed over the years?

Listening to this stuff makes me realize how sterile today's music is. There's no emotion, even from the emo crowd. You can't feel the same angst that you could in the '90s. The R&B songs were the best back then. Despite being sorta mass produced, at least they still seemed like they had a soul. Once the boy bands of the late '90s gained popularity, there was no stopping the slide into mediocre and then lodging in just plain horrible.

Can it be possible that I'm already having flashbacks and reminiscing at my age? LOL These slo jams really take me back.

0 comments: