May 9, 2008

It's Raining Men (and Boys)!

The other day a friend and I had lunch at Makai Market, the foodcourt at Ala Moana Center. We both got food from Chinatown Express, which has taken up residence in the old Patti's Kitchen. Not bad, I guess.

The foodcourt was certainly a lot emptier than normal, so we found some seats in the middle of a row perpendicular to Poi Bowl with no problem.

A young local haole boy sat a couple of chairs away with his lunch from Charley's Grilled Subs. I thought it was weird that a guy would eat lunch by himself, especially in a room full of families, tourist groups and business people.

I was distracted when three mainland haole guys sat on the other side of us. They looked like tourists so I didn't think much of it. I don't mind them pouring some money into our local economy, y'know?

Anyway, as we continued eating, more and more young guys joined the haole kid. Soon there were about 10 of them all eating one thing or another. All of them looked about 15 or so. It took me a while to catch on that they were some kind of sports team from Hawaii Prep Academy.

The next thing I know one of the tourists stood up and started waving. He flagged down three or four other guys, who joined them. As they started in on their meal I noticed they weren't just a bunch of friends on vacation, they were a bunch of gay friends on vacation. More power to 'em, I say.

I wasn't going to mention it, but my friend leaned in and said, "I think they're gay" tipping her head in their direction. I answer an affirmative, especially in light of the stereotypical lisping we heard. "Too bad though," she said. "The ones on your side are younger and pretty good looking." Now isn't that always the case?

This situation got me thinking: where are the good-looking eligible guys in their 20s or 30s? On one hand, I had a slew of very young and athletic guys, some of whom were pretty good looking. On the other hand, I had a gaggle of guys apparently good looking according to my friend but also 100% gay.

What's a girl to do when all the hotties are illegally underage or just not into chicks? Am I the only one who notices this increasingly common trend?

Photo: John Fischer, About.com
Image: toppun.com

0 comments: