May 7, 2008

My Jungle Fantasy

Tonight my family and I went to see Cirque Dreams Jungle Fantasy at the Blaisdell Center Concert Hall. We had great tickets (second row balcony) for only $50. (It'd be double that in Vegas.) It was pretty fun and interesting for the little kids - very colorful, lots of moving parts and super artistic. The jungle theme was very cute, and I especially liked the emus and frogs. While the performance was still abstract like a lot of the cirque-type shows, this one was a lot more understandable and recognizable and I'm thankful.

On the flip side though, I was a little disappointed in the acrobatics and circus tricks. I'd seen many of the tricks before in some fashion or other . . . for FREE! For instance, one acrobat used metal objects of various shapes and juggled/spun them. You can catch something similiar at the Rio in Vegas.

Another similar act was the strong man duo. You know, one big buff dude and one smaller buff dude do amazing balancing and strength acts on each other. It's a thin line between strength and being, dare I say it, sort of a sissy. I mean, how can these buff dudes be expected to prance around to the music? They're just not graceful like the bendy acrobats and dancers. But, these guys did, toe pointing, wrist flicking and all.

Even the guy in the adult-sized hamster wheel is a trick that's been done before. Still, the artistry and talent of the performers can't be denied. If you enjoy ooohing and aaahing over circus acts, you'll definitely have a great time. Personally though, I prefer "La Reve," which is at The Wynn in Vegas.

Here's a sneak peek of Cirque Dreams Jungle Fantasy, courtesy of Cirque Dreams on YouTube.


Here's a snippet of the La Reve show, courtesy of TfZh on YouTube.

0 comments: