October 13, 2009

Three Rivers & NCIS: L.A. Review

So I remember seeing the commericals for this new Alex O'Loughlin show called Three Rivers, but I have only been able to check it out tonight by watching it online. The appeal, of course, is O'Loughlin. He's definitely still hot and sexy despite his previous show Moonlight being canceled. Still, I think he was hotter as a vampire. It must've been all that pale skin and dark clothing.

In his current show, he's a transplant doctor named Andy. I'm halfway through the first episode now and find that it's difficult to relate to the characters. I'm not sure I can get onboard with another hospital drama, despite O'Loughlin's hotness. There seems to be less medical stuff than Grey's. He also doesn't really act like a doctor because his bedside manner is so soft. There's not a lot of medical stuff and more hand holding.

I've also watched the first three episodes of the new NCIS: Los Angeles. I can't really say I'm a big fan of the show, even with the studly help of LL Cool J and Chris O'Donnell. It just doesn't vibe as well with me as the original NCIS does.

Maybe the characters aren't quirky enough? Maybe they're just not interesting? Even the missions they go on do not seem as exciting. There isn't a lot of medical stuff in this show either. The original show features Ducky, the M.E., in every show. You see the morgue with a body on the metal table in every show. There was perhaps one body on the slab in L.A. They don't really do autopsies, which I find weird, but they do psycho-analyze because the have a shrink on staff.

Both new shows do one thing right, which is to definitely play up the advanced technology. They both have that cool touchscreen action going on. Throwing images from one screen to the next is awesome. They project images on glass walls and are still able to interact with the data. It's all pretty cool.

I'll give each of these series a couple more viewings, but I have a feeling this is it for Three Rivers and NCIS: Los Angeles. Gotta go with the tried and true.

0 comments: