August 13, 2009

A Waltz For A Night

I have always believed that I was a cynic . . . either that or very firmly planted on the side of realism. But I just watched Before Sunrise and Before Sunset, starring Ethan Hawke and Julie Delpy, and find that I may have misjudged myself entirely for a majority of my life.

It is shocking to uncover, so late in the game, that I am a closet romantic. Yeah, I know. It's a trip. But the films moved me to tears, and that can only happen if I'm a romantic. I saw myself in the characters. It felt like I had lived their lives. Maybe I had . . . a lifetime ago . . . but it feels so real now watching these movies.

The minimalist nature of the two films captured me. The experiences these two strangers had and shared with one another were moving. The transient nature of their relationship contrasted with the deep impact of it is utterly bittersweet. The beauty in the mundane is also significant - as much to me as a viewer as it is to them. There is something strangely poignant about their separation and reunion that reaches into my very core.

0 comments: