August 30, 2009

Zoo Party for Kapiolani Medical Center

Today I headed over to the zoo for a free family day with my sister, sister-in-law and two nieces. Kapiolani Medical Center for Women & Children was celebrating its centennial celebration and was offering free admission by simply downloading a pass from the net.

We got there a little after 11 a.m., but it was difficult to find a place to park. Apparently there was a free shuttle to and from KCC but we didn't know it at the time. Luckily, my sister is renovating a studio in Waikiki so we used its parking structure.

On the way to the zoo, we stopped off at Rainbows for some burgers and plate lunches. Yummy! I haven't eaten there in forever. It was like coming home. I got the hamburger steak, my sister got their roast pork and we split it. Delish! When our stomachs were full, we went into the zoo.

I haven't been to the zoo in probably ten years or so and I have to admit that it has improved quite a bit. A lot of the enclosures are new and there's more food places. Today, there were tons of tents set up with activities for the kids. I think my nieces had a great time. We wandered through the zoo, and most of the animals were where I remembered them to be. I'm not sure if they're the same ones though. My friend the tortoise wasn't in his enclosure, but we did see him in a back area. God, he was there when I was a kid. Wonder just how old he is?

Despite the extreme heat, it was a good day. The place was packed full of kids of all ages. I think the event was quite a success for Kapiolani.

0 comments: