March 1, 2009

Take Me Home Country Road

Yesterday I was flippin' through radio stations as I am wont to do every once in a while. I don't mean just the pre-saved stations though. I'm talking about every station that catches the slightest broadcast from this little island state of ours.

One of my new favorites is Salem's 97.5 KHCM-FM, Hawaii's Country Music. No, I'm definitely not a country music fan but I could be one real soon. I don't really have a history with this type of music having lived in Hawaii all my life, but that's not to say I don't appreciate the effort it takes to be a singer/songwriter, play an instrument and make it big on the radio. I've got much respect for artists and musicians.

I can't really say what draws me to country music, but I've been listening to it for two days now. I feel like it's able to bring me back to a place where a lot of Americans probably haven't been in a while - back to the beginning of America. The music seems to embody the simple pleasures of life like no other type of music out there. It's songs from the heart and the heartland. Pure Americana.

Here's one of the songs I heard this weekend and just loved. It's by Gretchen Wilson and it's called "Redneck Woman." Sorry, but I can't seem to find a video to embed. All of them are blocked. I've also been digging Taylor Swift's songs. This one's called "White Horse."

0 comments: