February 23, 2009

Hines Ward - Biracial Football Star

This vid got me thinking about how different (and special) Hawaii is from other places in the world. Living in Hawaii, we're blessed to have a diversity unlike other states and countries. Here, we are so used to people of mixed heritage that it usually doesn't raise many issues. There's no pause to contemplate the fact that someone is biracial since I suppose the majority of us are. In fact, someone of pure blooded anything is probably a rare find in Hawaii. I think for the most part we embrace our cultural diversity. I'd even go so far as to say that people of mixed heritage are thought to be more attractive, exotic even.

So this video sparked two immediate thoughts in my mind:

1) Wow, is it possible that this type of deep-seeded prejudice still survives in this day and age? Can an entire country really be racist? Ok, not an entire country but relatively speaking.

2) Isn't that just typical that Korea would totally embrace Hines Ward now that he is a football star? I'm not saying that only Korea would do that (I'm positive America would be first in line if the tables were turned). Is human nature that self-serving and greedy? Is it all about the fame and dollah dollah bills?

0 comments: