February 16, 2009

Pregnancy - Is Something in the Water?

As many of you have probably noticed, Hollywood has been ripe with celebrity births these past couple of years. It's almost as if babies are the latest and greatest Botox. They just gotta try it.

Well, as is the normal trickle-down effect, it's finally reached Hawaii. It seems like everyone around me has just had a baby or will be having a baby. Baby popping is all the rage at work, with friends and even family. I guess it's just that time in my life, you know, baby-making time. I mean, I am at that age where I should "settle down" and start a family. People at my age normally have stable jobs and can finally afford to have a family (that's if you're planning to have one. Unplanned is another story.).

I'm not sure what to think about this baby-making, settling-down time, especially since I'm a self-proclaimed anti-baby person. It's not that I don't like kids (well, at least I don't not like them that much) but more like I don't feel like I need kids. Yeah, some people have a burning desire to become a mom. That's definitely not me as I've said to one and all. Still, to each his or her own and I'm happy for the moms and moms-to-be that are in my life. I'm just not sure it's for me, and I haven't met a guy who could convince me otherwise (ie. make me lose my mind and agree to have one).

I feel a little awkward about things though. It's making me contemplate my life and its direction. I mean, when you have kids it's easy to decide where your life is headed. Obviously your life is headed no where . . . err . . . that is no where your kids' lives aren't headed. LOL! Let me restate that. What I mean is that your life is no longer yours and your main focus is your child (or at least it should be. There's no telling these days.). When you're child free you have all the options in the world. Guess that's where I'm at now and the world is a really big place to be.

0 comments: