February 12, 2009

Speed Dial Number Three @ Missed Connections

As I mentioned on an Advertiser blog, I've recently found Missed Connections on Craigslist completely intriguing. I don't know if it's the undercover romantic or the nosy neighbor in me, but I can't stop reading this stuff. It's like being a voyeur and peering into a fishbowl world. Will he ever talk to his "girl that runs for days" or find his "skinny white girl, short shorts and long legs?" I'll never, ever know but I find it really, really entertaining to read.

Tonight, one of the post titles really caught my eye. It said:

Speed Dial Number Three

How could I not stop to click on this one? When I opened it up, its length surprised me. As you know, this Craigslist generation of ours isn't known for being verbose. This made me even more curious.

The post was apparently from a guy to his ex in his final, final good bye. It was so moving and honest. It was heartfelt. Is it weird that I felt like crying? I didn't of course . . . but I wanted to.

Why? Because this small glimpse into the history of this couple was amazing. The post showed us all the love and anger and strife that the relationship endured. It showed us the loss, confusion and sadness at the relationship's end. It was like a snippet of a well-written novel, a Hollywood film yet to be produced.

Will his ex ever read this? Will she ever know his feelings? We'll never know. But that, in itself, is why the post is amazing.

0 comments: