February 6, 2009

Too Young for Marriage?

I really don't know what's going on lately, but everywhere I look guys are either too young or married. Sometimes they're too young and married!

For instance, we've got a new guy in our IT department who's been with us for about a month or so. I've only met him once before and swear he can't be over 23. Anyway, I noticed today that he was wearing a wedding ring. I hadn't noticed it there before. He's practically a baby and he's married already? I find that completely scary.

The only other reason I could think of that he'd be wearing it was if he's Catholic and married to God. Do guys even do that? I've only seen girls wearing rings for their faith.

Anyway, I know people mature at their own speeds and can meet "the one" at any time in their lives, but geez it seems like people are getting married younger and younger these days. Either that, or they're waiting till 50. I'm not sure which is better or worse.

I still feel like I need another 10+ years before I even think about getting married. I guess it helps that at this time I don't really want kids so there's no pressure there. Yes, I realize that I'm still young, relatively speaking since I'm several years past 23, but I couldn't imagine myself being married right now.

Maybe it's different if you've met "the one" your first day of high school and you just know this is it? Maybe it's different if you've graduated college and your college sweetheart proposes? Could be, but those things didn't happen to me so I guess I can't relate.

I feel as though I barely know myself so how can I really, truly get to know another person enough to marry them? Is that wrong? Selfish? All I can say is that it is what it is. It's not that I'm opposed to meeting "the one," but I can honestly say I'm not really looking to find him either. If it happens, then I suppose that'll be nice. If not, no time like the present to enjoy being independent and free.

0 comments: