January 29, 2009

Drive Thru Comedian at Jack in the Box

The other day I stopped by Jack in the Box at the corner of Kapiolani and Ward before heading in to work and was surprised to see that they'd hired a comedian for the drive thru window. Not literally a comedian but a guy who can make me laugh at that early hour does have some skills.

The ordering process was normal, but when I pulled up to pay the SUV in front of me refused to move even though he already had his food. The driver proceeded to have a nice chat with the JITB employee. Hmm, weird, I thought.

When it was my turn, I finally realized why the SUV took so long at the window. The comedian/employee had a bright smile on and was very cheerful. He asked me if I wanted "ketchup, hot sauce, bloody mary, margarita or a massage" with my food. This threw me for a loop because I was just expecting to get my food and go. Normally there's not much more conversation other than "thanks." When I declined the alcohol at such an early hour, the comedian surprised me again by saying, "What about a massage?"

At this point I just had to laugh. As cynical as I am my immediate thought was, "is this guy on drugs?" But no, his eyes were focusing fine and there were no outward signs like twitching or unnecessary sweating. So the guy was just this much fun normally? Could this be?

I pondered this thought as I left and headed in to work. Could someone really be that happy and enjoyable at such an early hour as he worked a drive-thru window at a fast food company? Apparently so. So what was I complaining about being that I probably make more than him, don't have to stand on my feet all day and don't leave work smelling all greasy? Food for thought.

0 comments: