January 28, 2009

The Money Book for the Young, Fabulous & Broke

I recently read Suze Orman's book "The Money Book for the Young, Fabulous & Broke" and have to say that it was quite enlightening. Personally, I thought that I could be making more and saving more but found that I'm actually doing quite well in spite of things.

This book is great for anyone in their 20s to 30s who is still trying to pay off student loans, has credit card debt or is just starting out in their career. I found that a lot of advice was targeted toward people with student loans and credit card debt. Orman's advice is sometimes contrary to what would seem logical (ie. You have credit card debt but don't make enough at work so she advises you to charge your expenses! It's called investing in your future. Who knew?).

Since I don't have student loans to pay off or credit card debt, I guess I'm one step ahead of the game. The chapters that broke down investing, retirement plans and mortgages were really good for me as I'm kind of clueless when it comes to the financials. I would have to say that I'm able to survive because I'm frugal, not because my take-home pay is bursting my wallet.

What was most satisfying about reading this book was that it helped me realize that there are others out there dealing with the same issues. There are others who don't really get how to allocate their money in Roth IRAs, who don't really know how to go about increasing their FICO scores (or even what a FICO is) and who don't know what the first step is in buying a house or car. I guess we're all stuck in the same boat, and maybe that's okay too as long as we continue to educate ourselves along the way.

0 comments: