July 16, 2009

One Down, Two To Go

I just got home from doing our annual scholarship awards ceremony and dinner. We had about 65 people show up and awarded 10 lucky college kids with some money for school and some free stuff. All in all it went pretty well. Only two more events to go and I'll call it a success if I can manage to live through them.

On the way to our cars, my co-worker and I were walking with one of the branch managers. Somehow during the two year's I've been working at this place, I have seemed to confide in him more honestly than anyone else (well, besides my co-worker). It's odd because he's a manager and on the same level as my boss. Yet, somehow it's easy to relate to him and tell him my frustrations about my boss and the job quite honestly.

Tonight he pointed out that as we were leaving we didn't even acknowledge our boss when he said thanks for all the help. He seemed quite appalled that we didn't even hide our disgruntled attitude or whatever you want to call what we feel toward our boss. This got me wondering if others saw it too or if it's just that we're comfortable with this particular manager and just let it all hang loose?

To be honest, I probably don't really care who sees the bad 'tude. I know that's not going to make me employee of the year or anything, but truthfully who wants that anyway? And anyway, it's the truth and why lie about it? I don't think anyone understands what it's like to work day in and day out with my manager. Yeah, you can put up with him during a two-hour meeting once a week. Yeah, you can joke around with him as you pass him in the halls (although I don't think you'll find any of his jokes funny . . . we don't). But try working with him every day. The guy is just really weird.

I'd say he was a big baby about some things and acts like a sissy girl about others. Then he tries to play it off like he's a macho man in front of everyone else. Who does all the heavy lifting in the office? Not him. He doesn't lift a god damn finger when I'm passing his office carting around loads of boxes. He doesn't even participate in event planning anymore either. The man cannot organize himself. How can he organize a group of people without blowing his top? And believe me, I've heard stories where he yells at people. What a pro, right?

Before, I used to try to figure him out. I wondered what exactly makes this dude tick? But after two years of the same crap, I've given up. As a sign of my internal "who gives a fuck?" I outwardly try not to acknowledge him at all . . . which leads us back to the branch manager's comments tonight.

I don't see myself changing my attitude as I don't see him changing his. Now either one of needs to go or else it'll just continue this way. And until I find a good opportunity out there (like some rich dude wants to ravish me with all of his family's millions), I suppose I'll be here a while. How can this continue though? Seriously, this cannot be good for either of our heaths. How my manager could have even made it through life thus far and be married with two young kids is beyond me. All I can say is that there's no accounting taste is there?

1 comments:

skycastles said...

Thanks for stopping by