July 14, 2009

True Blood Review

I've finished watching the entire first season of True Blood and gotta say that it's sucking me in. There are quite a few gems by way of plot and acting throughout the season. There's a bunch of twists and turns that I have surprised me, and I think the good writing is what's keeping me on the edge of my seat.

One intriguing aspect is the idea that Sookie is pulled in two directions by two different male "suitors" as Bill would say. Vampire Bill embodies animalistic, passionate energy. He's mysterious and dangerous, powerful and definitely deadly. Opposite him is Sam Merlotte, Sookie's boss and a shapeshifter whose favorite alternative persona is a dog. Of course, this metaphor isn't too hard to figure out. Sam represents safety, loyalty, friendship and love, just like your favorite canine buddy.

So which type will she ultimately fall for? I can only assume it'll be Bill. After all, the series is about vamps, right? However, she will probably waver between the two men for another season or two just to draw out the agony. I'm sure each guy has a fan club of loyal viewers pulling for him - both are pretty easy on the eyes.

Another guy with a huge fan club is Ryan Kwanten, who plays Sookie's brother Jason. I'm amazed at how Kwanten can play dumb so well. Jason is truly no rocket scientist, but Kwanten makes it so believable. I've listened to some of the episode commentary and whenever he's mentioned, directors and writers will comment on how different he is from his character. It takes a smart person to play a dumb one. I like the idea that the dumb blonde bimbo is actual male in this instance. Ah, how the tables have turned.

I'll probably continue to watch this series when the dvds come out. I want to find out more about this world as apparently there's more to it than vampires and shapeshifters. How much more? I guess I'll have to stay tuned to find out (or read the books).

0 comments: