September 8, 2009

Night Before Surgery

Tonight's the night before my Visian ICL surgery. I don't feel anxious, excited or nervous. I feel fine. I've felt fine since last week's pre-op check up. Hopefully this translates into a restful sleep tonight. To be honest, my mind has been stuck on researching the JET Programme more than the upcoming eyeball surgery. Ever since I decided I'm going to apply I've been a little obsessed with trying to get more information. However, I suppose that's a topic for another blog.

Getting back to the Visian prep, I've been instructed to drop antibiotics into the eye that will be operated on (left eye). This started on Sunday and I'm doing one drop three times a day. That's not too difficult if you time it out at breakfast, lunch and dinner. I started on Sunday and today's my last day. Tomorrow I'll probably resume the drops and add an anti-inflamatory drop after the surgery. I already received the two drops as well as a regular re-wetting drop when I went into my pre-op visit. I was also prescribed another bottle of antibiotic drops, which I picked up at Straub last week. I believe I'm supposed to be using it until all the drops run out. This will repeat next week when I do my other eye.

Prep for the surgery is almost non-existent. I was instructed not to eat or drink anything after midnight tonight and make sure I have a ride to pick me up after the surgery. Since I don't need to be at the doctor's office till 10 a.m. and they said I won't be able to leave until about noon, I figured I'd better eat up tonight. I went out with my brother and his fam to CPK at Ala Moana. We had the spinach and artichoke dip, Chinese chicken salad and the cheeseburger pizza. Everything was delish. Hopefully that'll last me until noon tomorrow.

Tomorrow I also have a post-op visit at 1 p.m. to check that everything is okay with my eye. They'll be checking the pressure in my eye. I suppose if it's too high, that'd be bad. Other than that, I think I'll just need to keep my pirate's patch on for the rest of the day and continue wearing it each night when I go to sleep. I don't have my pirate's patch yet but assume they'll give it to me before letting me walk out of surgery.

I hope this surgery works well and I come out of it seeing 20/20 or better. That would be wonderful. Having needed vision correction since the fourth grade and wearing contacts since the fifth grade, this will be a great relief and provide a certain amount of freedom. I'll definitely post an update tomorrow night with any news. Wish me luck!

0 comments: