April 21, 2009

Old Maid Syndrome

Is it bad that all I want to do these days is stay at home and watch a dvd or read a book? I don't have any urge to go out, socialize, do lunch with friends and all that good stuff that people my age live on.

I mean, I'll go out when invited and I enjoy the time spent with friends. It's just that I'm also perfectly fine kicking it at home curled up on the couch with a good book too.

This doesn't bode well for my mother, who is anxiously waiting for me to get the wedding ball rolling. It's the only thing she can hope for since I'm pretty anti-kids at this point. There's no use harping on that one so she's jumped on the "have you met anyone nice?" bandwagon. The answer to which is always no.

Well, let's put it this way. I'm not dragging any poor dude over to meet her until I've got him so good and drunk that he won't remember the encounter . . . oh wait, did I just say that? Let me revise that to until he's so whooped that she can't scare him away. Was that not better either?

That might sound all harsh but really, I'm just being honest. Like most girls, I fear (like I'm deathly afraid) that I'll one day turn into my mother. As the years pass, I am aware that this will inevitably be the case. There's no fighting it. There's no anti-mom cream invented yet. It's just the way it is.

It's not so much that I don't want any guy meeting her because of her (well, that's mostly true). The biggest reason is that if he sees her, he'll know that's where I'm heading and beat feet in the other direction. Sad but true.

But I'm jumping ahead. How am I supposed to meet anyone when I'm perfectly happy at home? And, no those bible thumpers are so not an option.

0 comments: