June 12, 2009

Lasik vs. Visian ICL

Yesterday I went to two consultations to see if I might be a candidate for doing refractive eye surgery. I had already gone to a separate informational meeting to learn about it, but this was a full-on screening where they check your eyes and get your prescription.

It turns out I'm a candidate for both Lasik and Visian ICL because of the structure of my eyes and my prescription. From what I can tell, there's a limit to how myopic your eyes can be for Lasik to be effective. If your eyes are too bad, then Lasik doesn't work well (and I think is not approved above a certain diopter). Once you get up into the higher diopters, Visian is more effective. In my situation, I'm stuck between the two options so it's my personal choice which procedure I do.

So what's the difference between the two procedures?

Most people are familiar with Lasik. In this procedure, they use a laser to cut a flap with a hinge in your eye. The use another laser to shape your cornea, which enables you to see better. Then they close the flap and allow the eye to heal.

The Visian ICL (implantable collamer lens) is a lens that is inserted into your eye in front of your natural lens. Together they allow you to see better. Because the lens is within the eye, you can't feel it like a regular contact lens. It's supposed to be permanent, like Lasik, and requires no care at all.

Both procedures cost a pretty penny. Visian ICL costs about 1G per eye more than Lasik. But, Visian ICL is also reversable - the lens can be removed from your eye if a problem occurs. Lasik is permanent - once they laser off those cells, those cells are goners.

Lasik is the more popular option as it has been in the U.S. for a longer period of time. It seems like Visian ICL is the newer technology and will, at some point in time, replace Lasik. It was just FDA approved a couple years ago (although it has been done in Europe for many years).

I'm not sure which surgery option I'm more comfortable with. I'm also not sure how much I want to spend on this. I could always continue to wear contacts. Oh, but the hassle of it all just sucks. Once I pick a procedure, I'll also have to select a surgeon. There are a couple other refractive eye surgeons in town, but I don't think they offer Visian ICL.

I'm also concerned about the side effects and potential complications that may arise due to one of these surgeries. The worst case scenario is that I could go blind because of some kind of infection. Now that would truly suck. However, people with contacts may also get eye infections from bacteria that could lead to vision loss too, I suppose.

Guess I just need to do more research on the two options to see which is a better fit for me. Anyone have any experience getting Lasik or ICLs? The more information I have, the more comfortable I will probably be to make a decision.

2 comments:

Shauna said...

Hi, it's Shauna from Odds and Ends. I stumbled upon your blog when I saw you linked to one of my previous posts on that relationship study. Anyways, I also did a post on this very topic — Lasik vs. Visian ICL as I was considering Visian and had many of the same concerns. I'm not sure if you saw that post; it was a few months back. I just wanted to say you write very well. Hope to see you on O&E one of these days!:)

skycastles said...

Hi Shauna,

Thanks for stopping by!

I've been scouring the net for more ICL info and actually just came across your Lasik/ICL blog a couple days ago. Must've missed it when you originally posted. Was meaning to ask if you made a decision for or against it. Sounds like against?

Next Wednesday I get to go in and watch someone's ICL surgery. More info
here
. Hopefully that'll calm my nerves a bit as I really want to do one of the surgeries.

I've already seen a LASIK procedure done. It was relatively quick and the girl walked out fine. I'm leaning more toward the ICL though, just because it's reversable and my correction is on the higher side, which means more chances of halos and all that if I go with LASIK. But the cost is so expensive either way. Argh!