June 10, 2009

Bucket List - Week 9 Update

Here's this week's update of my Bucket List.

Bucket List #16
I don't know where this community service-via-work thing is going. My gut tells me they're canning the entire program. It wouldn't surprise me one bit if they did. So, because I'm already anticipating receiving the pink slip for Lanakila, I've been looking at things I can do as an individual. After reading this month's book (#55 below), I got to thinking about really traveling the world for months at a time. It seems a lot more educational and life altering than a quick two-week jaunt over to Europe. Today I began researching organizations that teach English overseas and what it takes to get certified. I also looked at (again) possibly going to grad school and the requirements for an TESL degree. Still, I think it'd be a waste since I'm not fully committed to one thing or another. I could just as easily go back and get a Master's in English (which I believe I would thoroughly enjoy but have no clue how I would apply practically once I got it). I plan to look into the teaching abroad route, which seems like it takes less to get certified and provides the most impactful change. I also went back to looking at the Peace Corps again. I'd definitely be able to make a difference anywhere they'd place me. However, the committment is a full two years abroad. Can you really stop your life for two years and then come back and start up where you left off?

Bucket List #18
Haven't looked into pilot lessons recently. I think I was scared away by the cost of it all.

Bucket List #50
Um, this isn't happening any time soon. At least I can admit that I think I'm an addict. Admitting I have a problem is the first step or so I hear.

Bucket List #55
I know I said I was going to try out Chris McKinney's Mililani Mauka for June's book, but I picked up The 4-Hour Work Week by Tim Ferris and am full trippin'. His theories are simply mind blowing and mind blowingly simple at the same time. Through the book and support on the website, Ferris reveals a step-by-step plan where you can actual work less hours but make more money. "Charlatan!" you say. No, you've got to read it to believe it. He instructs you on how to outsource your life so that you can take mini-retirements (blocks of months at a time doing what you wish, where you wish, when you wish). I know, the idea is completely foreign and shocking to you too, right? But wouldn't it be awesome if you were somehow able to do it? Of course, translating those theories into your reality is the tough, scary part. But, I do believe it can be done if you're brave enough to throw away years of society's conditioning. I don't think I'm there yet, but the ideas and possibilities that this book sparked in my mind are almost as good.



Bucket List #67
Ok, I actually signed up for the golf class. Apparently there's five of us in the class and the minimum to keep the class open is five. So if no one ditches, the show will go on. One weird thing is that the instructor is requiring that we all bring a video tape - you know those things from the '80s? I called the dude up to ask if we really needed one. I mean, who even has a VHS player these days? I surely do not.

Bucket List #78
Update on the freshwater fishing. I think it's a no go. We were supposed to go fishing for catfish and whatever else is up at the Nuuanu Resevoir, but I found out that you had to use this God-awful smelling bait - fermented raw seafood like aku belly and tako legs. Ew, I don't think so. Shrimp I can handle. Baiting the hook and taking the fish off I can handle. Touching days-old rotting fish? PASS!

0 comments: